I agree to conduct myself in accordance with all rules and requirements of the team, the athletic conference in which my team participates, and USC, including the Code of Student Conduct. I also agree as follows:
- University Community – I will be a responsible and engaged member of the University community. I will strive to represent my team in and outside the classroom, and show respect for all members of the University and the broader community. I will lead by example. I will remember that both my own and my team’s reputations are at stake when I am participating in rugby competition, attending classes, and socializing with friends and others both in and outside of the University community.
- Academic Standing – I will assume full responsibility for my academic progress and achievement. I will make every effort to stay in good academic standing at the University. I will attend all my classes unless excused for team travel and competition or some other legitimate reason. I will seek additional academic help if necessary to improve or maintain my academic standing.
- Travel as a University Ambassador – When traveling for competitions or training as a representative of both USC and the rugby team, I will behave responsibly and portray a positive image of USC at all times.
- Cyberspace – I will not author, forward, or post vulgar or offensive notes, texts, photographs, or other content that reflect negatively on me, my team, other individuals, or the University, or that conflict with the spirit or intent of this Code or the Code of Student Responsibilities. Whenever possible, I will discourage others from posting text or photographs that could be deemed unflattering or damaging to my, or others’, reputation, or the reputations of the team or the University.
- Alcohol and Drug Use – I will not consume alcoholic beverages on team trips or athletic events. I will comply with the policies described in the USC University Statement on Illegal Drugs and Alcohol. I will not use or distribute banned substances, including illegal and “performance enhancing drugs,” or take prescription drugs unless they have been prescribed for me by a medical professional.
- Violence – I will not engage in and will not be tolerant of violent acts, including assaults on persons or property, hate crimes, hazing (addressed more fully below), stalking, sexual violence, or any other conduct prohibited by law or University policy. If I witness such acts perpetrated by others, I will report them to my coach or another University authority immediately. I acknowledge that the Rugby Team may, in its discretion, immediately suspend me from the team and prohibit me from practice and competition until further notice in the event I am accused of a crime of violence or sexual assault.
- Nonconsensual Sexual Contact – I will not initiate or engage in nonconsensual sexual contact or sexual harassment, and I acknowledge that all forms of harassment and non-consensual sexual contact are prohibited both by law and USC rules, described in more detail in the USC Sexual Harassment Policy.
- Hazing – I will not participate in hazing of any sort. I acknowledge that such acts, either in connection with membership on a University athletic team, participation in an informal or formal team activity, or for any other reason, are strictly prohibited. I will refrain from any act, whether physical, mental, emotional, or psychological, that subjects another person, voluntarily or involuntarily, to anything that may abuse, mistreat, degrade, humiliate, harass, or intimidate another person. Such acts may include, but are not limited to: forcing, requiring, or pressuring others to consume alcohol or any other substance; forcing, requiring, or pressuring others to involuntarily perform physical activities, tattoo, pierce, or shave any part of the body; forcing, requiring, or pressuring others to take part in an illegal or indecent activity; disturbing others during normal sleeping hours; or physically abusing others in any way.
- Remaining Informed of Expectations and Policies – I am responsible for my own behavior and for reading, understanding, and abiding by the policies applicable to me, including but not limited to the USC rule book and the Code of Student Responsibilities.
I understand that failure to conduct myself responsibly, as stated and implied by the conditions in this USC Men’s Rugby Student-Athlete Code of Conduct, may result in sanctions, up to and including suspension or dismissal from the team.